Summer Lentil, Gandules, Mango-Lime and Jalapeño SaladPrep Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
Makes: 4-6 servings
- 1 lb. La Preferida Lentils, rinse and cook — see below
- La Preferida Gandules
- La Preferida Jalapeño Slices (Hot, Mild)*
- Mango-Lime Jalapeño Slices
*organic option available
- 1/2 lb. La Preferida Gandules
- 1 Tbsp. minced garlic
- 12 sprigs of cilantro, chopped
- 15 slices of La Preferida Jalapeño Nacho Slices (Hot, Mild)
- 1/2 med. red onion, diced
- 2 Tbsp. red wine vinegar
- Juice of two limes
- 2 tsp. Kosher salt
- 1 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 ripe mango, peeled and diced
- 3 Tbsp. of toasted pepitas
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 tomato, diced
- Garnish: avocado, sliced
Cook lentils according to package directions, check accordingly. When lentils feel and taste nearly done, add 1 Tbsp. of Kosher salt and let finish cooking — do not allow to overcook or lentils will become mushy. **If you think they will become mushy from carrying heat over, rinse through cold water** Next, drain, rinse, and reserve Gandules. Allow lentils to cool down to room temperature. In a hurry, rinse under cold water for about 3 minutes and drain.
Place pepitas in an oven-safe pan and toast at 350º for 5-7 minutes — DO NOT BURN!!!
In a bowl, combine lentils, gandules, garlic, cilantro, jalapeño, red onion, vinegar, lime juice, salt, black peper, mango, and pepitas. Mix well and allow flavors to blend. Adjust salt and pepper as needed.
And remember, Chef. LaPref says: ALWAYS TASTE, TASTE, TASTE!