- 2 cans La Preferida Whole Kernel Corn (15 oz.), drained and rinsed
- 2 cans La Preferida Pinto Beans (15 oz.), drained and rinsed
- 1 bag La Preferida Lentils (1 lb.)
- 1 pint blueberries, washed and dried
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes
- 2 cups kale, washed and drained
- 2 cups purple cabbage, shredded
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
Ingredients: Avocado Dressing
- 2 avocados, pitted and scooped
- ½ lime, juiced
- ¼ bunch of cilantro, washed and dried
- ½ cup of water
- 2 Tbsp. La Preferida Diced Green Chiles
- 2 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 2 Tbsp. pepitas
- ½ tsp. salt
Preheat oven to 350º
Cook lentils according to package instructions.
When cooked, strain and gently rinse in cold water. Set aside 2 cups (or double the recipe to use the whole bag). When cooled, add onion and garlic.
On a baking sheet or pan, toast pepitas at 350º for 7 minutes. Set aside.
To prepare avocado dressing, combine avocados, apple cider vinegar, 2 Tbsp. of pepitas, diced green chiles, water, lime, and cilantro in a blender and blend until smooth. If too thick, add 1-2 Tbsp. of water.
Mix a ½ cup of avocado dressing with lentils and fold in corn, beans, and purple cabbage. Taste for seasoning. Set aside.
In a large bowl, combine kale and 1 cup of avocado dressing. Top with lentil salad and garnish with blueberries, cherry tomatoes and remaining pepitas.
Tip from the Chef
Use leftover lentils in another salad or use them to thicken soups and stews.