“Best Nopalitos Ever! Great tasting and delicious flavor!”
– Joseph V.
Don’t be intimidated by this unusual ingredient. Cactus can be a versatile and unique addition to your cooking routine. Our canned variety makes it much easier to prepared than the fresh paddles you find at the store. No spines to remove here!
It’s naturally mellow taste makes it ideal for salads, soups or even as a side dish. A simple wash in cold water to remove the brine will do the trick. Then, season as you like! Try tossing in Italian dressing along with fresh tomatoes and red onion for a refreshing summer salad.
Or for a roasted version, cook in grill basket (to prevent slipping through the cracks) or in a cast-iron skillet for the charred flavor. Cactus can often be the star of many vegetarian dishes as well like our Nopalito Tostadas featured below.
- TENDER SLICED CACTUS
Our nopalitos tiernos is a versatile ingredient that goes perfectly in salads, tacos, soups, and more! A great way to add a serving of veggies to any recipe with just a hint of heat.
- UNIQUE FLAVOR
Adds a delicious, briny taste to any dish due. Made with a flavorful marinade of vinegar, onion, serrano peppers, coriander, sugar, and spices.
- EASY TO PREPARE
These low prep “nopalitos” just need a quick rinse in cool water and they’re ready to go. Toss with tomatoes, onions and a bit of Italian dressing for a simple summer salad like our Cactus “Nopalito” Salad
- MADE WITH SIMPLE INGREDIENTS
No artificial colors or preservatives. A simple combination of tender slices of cactus marinated with onions, peppers, and spices. Kosher.
- VEGETARIAN AND VEGAN-FRIENDLY
Switch up #TacoTuesday with our Vegetarian Nopalito Tostada recipe. You won’t even miss the meat.
- CONSCIOUS PACKAGING
Our cans are made with BPA-free lining.
HOW TO PREPARE CANNED CACTUS
- Drain and rinse in cold water. Remove any excess stems or serranos for a milder flavor.
- Use in salads or mixed with diced tomatoes and jalapenos to serve as a side dish.
QUICK USES FOR CACTUS
- Add to soups and stews in place of green beans for a slightly tart flavor.
- Diced and combine with egg dishes for an extra pop of colors such as breakfast tacos or quiches.
- Serve as a side dish such as a summer salad when mixed with dressing, tomatoes, and onions.
- Add to casseroles and cheese-based dishes like quesadillas for a little acidity.
- Pairs well alongside seafood such as salmon fillets and scallops for a bright burst of flavor.
We take pride in creating Mexican recipes with a modern twist. Our goal is to create dishes that are delicious, affordable, and authentic.
Our very own Chef Mario Morales (or as we like to call him “Chef La Pref”) has created most of the recipes featured here on our website. Learn more about Chef Mario.
|Our veggie nopalito tostadas are the ultimate #MeatlessMonday dish featuring a combination of tender cactus, sweet corn, and creamy refried beans.|
|Our cactus salad, with its firm consistency, can withstand even the most intense of dressings. No need to worry about any soggy salads here!|
TENDER CACTUS, WATER, ONION, VINEGAR, SALT, SERRANO PEPPERS, CORIANDER, SUGAR, SPICES.
We’ve been keeping it in the family since 1949. For four generations, La Preferida has been providing authentic Mexican ingredients you can trust. There’s a reason we’re named “The Preferred.” Learn more about our history.