For the Brine (optional):
- 2 cups of water
- 5 Tbsp. sea salt
- 5 cups of ice cubes
For the Salmon:
- 4 – 5 oz. salmon fillets, skinless
- 1 pkt. La Preferida Organic Al Pastor Taco Seasoning
- La Preferida Olive Oil
- 4 sheets of aluminum (12×17) lightly oiled on one side
- ½ cup La Preferida Organic Salsa Verde
For the Hash:
- 3 Tbsp. La Preferida Olive Oil
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 lb. baby red potatoes, quartered
- 1 cup butternut squash, medium dice
- 1 poblano pepper, seeded, sliced thin
- 1 cup La Preferida Organic Pico de Gallo Salsa
Bring water to a boil, add salt, and allow to dissolve. Remove from heat and stir in ice until cool. Pour mixture along with fish into ziplock bag or deep dish container. Place salmon in brine and let sit for 20 min (no longer or it will get mushy.)
Preheat oven to 375 F. Pat the salmon dry. On a large plate, spread Al Pastor seasoning onto a plate and use it to coat the salmon evenly on all sides.
For the hash: In a large bowl, combine olive oil and salt. Fold in potatoes, squash, poblano, and pico de gallo – mix well.
To prevent sticking, place salmon fillets on top of pre-oiled foil. Spoon potato hash mixture around salmon. Fold the sides of the foil to meet in the middle and seal the edges closed to form a pouch. Keep seam side up.
Place foil packets on large baking sheet and bake for approx. 25 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to rest for 5 minutes. Use a large metal spatula to transfer the pouches to plates and serve with Salsa Verde.
Chef La Pref tips:
- Al Pastor means “shepherd style” due to the fact that the technique was brought over by Lebanese immigrants to Mexico. The flavors evolved to incorporate native spices, chilis, and fresh pineapple.
- To check if your fish is done without cutting into it, insert the tip of a paper clip into the fillet for a few seconds and touch it to your lips. If the paper clip is cold, the fish needs more time. If it is hot, the fish is overcooked. If it’s warm – congrats it’s just right!
There are no reviews yet. Be the first one to write one.
Write a review