Charro Bean StewPrep Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
Makes: 4-6 servings
1 — 15 oz. can La Preferida Hominy
1 — 15 oz. can La Preferida Frijoles Charros
2 8 oz. cans La Preferida Salsa Casera
1 packet La Preferia Fajita Seasoning — 1/2 for chicken, 1/2 for onions
4 tsp. La Preferida Olive Oil
2 tsp. La Preferida Tomato Paste
2 lbs. of boneless, skinless chicken thighs
1 white onion, diced small
1 Tbsp. minced garlic
1/2 cup chopped cilantro
1. Set oven to 350º
2. Season chicken thighs with oil, fajita seasoning, and salt. Spread evenly on ovenproof baking dish, add 1/2 cup of water and roast for 30 minutes.
3. In a large pot, sweat onion, garlic, and fajita seasoning. Once translucent, add 2 tsp. of tomato paste and salsa casera, and simmer for 5 minutes. Add broth, beans, and hominy.
4. Remove chicken from oven and let sit for 5 minutes, then cut into medium chunks. Add chicken to pot along with pan drippings and cilantro. Simmer for 1 hour and, with wooden spoon or spatula, occasionally stir and scrape the bottom. Once ready, serve with warm tortillas and sliced avocado.
* Alternate crock-pot method: after cutting chicken (step 4), place in crockpot for 6 hours. Go shopping and come back to a ready-to-eat meal.
* Alternate oven method: after cutting chicken (step 4), place in oven-proof baking pan and bake at 350º for 1 1/2 hours covered.