- 1 lb. fresh scallops
- 1 can cooked beets, sliced
- 1 naval orange
- 1 blood orange
- 1 ruby red grapefruit
- 1 fennel bulb
- 1 avocado
- ¼ red onion, sliced
- 1 cup cauliflower florets
- 2 Tbsp. La Preferida Red Jalapeño Nacho Slices
- 2 Tbsp. La Preferida Olive Oil
- 1½ Tbsp. La Preferida Adobo with Pepper
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 can La Preferida Diced Green Chiles (7 oz.)
- 1½ cup La Preferida Olive Oil
- ½ cup + 3 Tbsp. toasted pepita seeds
- ½ cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 Tbsp. La Preferida Agave Nectar
Preheat oven to 350º
In a bowl, toss beets and cauliflower in olive and salt. Move to a baking sheet and spread evenly. Roast for 15 minutes.
Place pepitas on baking sheet and toast for 7 minutes. Set aside to cool — reserve 3 Tbsp. for garnish. The rest goes into vinaigrette.
To prepare vinaigrette, combine olive oil, diced green chiles, apple cider vinegar, agave nectar, and pepitas in a blender and blend until smooth. Easily store dressing in mason jar and shake if it becomes separated.
Segment orange and grapefruit and set aside. Slice red onions, avocado, and set aside. Trim fennel by removing fronds, cut into quarters and slice thin.
In a bowl, combine all vegetables and fruits and toss with ½ cup of vinaigrette. Set aside.
Pat dry scallops and season with adobo seasoning.
Heat 1 Tbsp. of olive oil in a pan and sear scallops on both sides until golden brown and cooked through (roughly 2 minutes per side).
Serve salad and top with scallops and garnish with pepitas.
Tip from the Chef
Use dry scallops for a better sear!
You can substitute scallops with 1 lb. of shrimp (31-40 ct.), tossed in 2 Tbsp. of olive oil and 2 Tbsp. of adobo seasoning. Roast for 6 minutes at 350º