- 3 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 5 cups water (to cook potatoes)
- 1.5 Tbsp sea salt (for cooking potatoes)
- 30 ct packaged empanada dough – 5″ discs (thawed)
- 1 cup spinach, packed
- 1/2 can La Preferida Black Beans (drained and rinsed)
- 1/2 can La Preferida Whole Kernel Corn, drained
- 1 Tbsp La Preferida Taco Seasoning
- 1- 4oz can La Preferida Diced Green Chiles
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese
- 2 eggs
- Optional: 2 cups La Preferida Salsa Ranchera
** Thaw out store-bought empanada disks at least an hour before using, or overnight in the fridge the day before. **
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a medium size pot, bring sweet potatoes, salt, and water to a boil. (Water should cover potatoes by 2 inches.)
- When the water is boiling, reduce heat to medium and cover. Cook for 20-25 minutes, or until soft. At the 15-minute mark, pierce the potato with a knife to check for doneness. If not ready, cook for 5 more minutes and check again.
- When the potatoes are done, drain. Place in a large bowl and gently mash. Add black beans, corn, taco seasoning, spinach, and cheese – mix well.
(PRO TIP: Combine leftover corn and black beans with taco seasoning and lime juice for a quick snack or salad topper).
- Whisk eggs and set aside with a pastry brush.
- Lightly stretch empanada dough about 1/2 an inch in diameter all around gently with your fingers or a rolling pin.
- Fill empanada dough with 2 Tbsp. of filling. Fold in half and pinch to seal. Lightly press edges all around with a fork.
- Lightly brush empanadas on one side with egg wash and sprinkle salt if desired.
- Place empanadas on a baking sheet – lined with lightly greased parchment paper. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Allow cooling for a few minutes prior to serving.
Place empanadas on parchment-lined baking sheet. Bake at 300 degrees F for 10 minutes.
There are no reviews yet. Be the first one to write one.
Write a review